Friday, June 01, 2007

National Youth Pigeon Club

It's my understanding that these folks in Florida are working to create a national junior pigeon club--sort of an NPA for juniors. It seems they've gotten a scholarship program going. Having worked with youth quite a bit over the last couple of years and knowing a few others that have done the same I've got mixed feelings about yet another attempt to get juniors going with pigeons. I applaud their efforts but at the same time I think to myself there are already excellent youth development organizations in place (4-H comes to mind). I sometimes think that pigeon fanciers are as prone to suffer from NIH syndrome as are engineers and software developers. I mean there's never a downside to enthusiasm but what's so broken about the existing youth development organizations that we need to invent yet another youth group?

1 comment:

Cooks With Passion said...

Maybe people think that the 4-H system is "old fashioned" instead of time-honored. Perhaps the idea of 4-H reminds them of State Fairs and the 50s and their grandparents? I'm not sure. I've been pondering this for a while and I don't think there are any easy answers.